While huge sections of the East Coast were getting pummeled by a record-setting snow storm, people in the rest of the country went to the movies. Audiences might have been influenced by the snow storm, because The Revenant – which has a lot of snow in it – moved back up the Box Office List to #1.
Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, also moved back up the list, going from last weekend’s #3 to #2. The movie has now earned a staggering domestic haul of $879,289,346. That’s the highest grossing domestic take ever, however, the movie is still ranked #3 globally. Avatar holds the #1 spot, followed by Titanic.
Last weekend’s #1 movie, Ride Along 2, dropped to 3rd place, and three new movies opened in 4th, 5th, and 6th. Those new movies, which performed as they were expected to, include the R-rated comedy Dirty Grandpa starring Robert De Niro and Zac Efron, which opened in 4th with $11.5 million.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of January 22 – 24, 2016:
1. The Revenant (Fox $16,000,000)
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (BV $14,257,000)
3. Ride Along 2 (Uni. $12,960,000)
4. Dirty Grandpa (LGF $11,525,000)
5. The Boy (STX $11,260,000)
6. The 5th Wave (Sony $10,700,000)
7. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Par. $9,750,000)
8. Daddy’s Home (Par. $5,270,000)
9. Norm of the North (LGF $4,100,000)
10. The Big Short Par. $3,500,000
New Movies in Bold
Are you into movies, games, fun and the occasional 140-character rant? Then follow me on Twitter, @JeffMMcKinney.