Via The Play Forum (Cause I write there also):
This was not a great weekend to open a new movie with each of the three new releases taking in less than $10 million. Of those three, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, had the best opening with $9.3 million and the #3 spot on the list. The World’s End followed in 4th with $8.94 million and You’re Next debuted in 7th with $7.05 million.
The weekend’s big winners were Lee Daniels’ The Butler, which held onto the top spot for a second week in a row and We’re the Millers, which is on its way to crossing the $100 million mark.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of August 23 – 25, 2013:
1. Lee Daniels’ The Butler ($17,018,000)
2. We’re the Millers ($13,500,000)
3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones ($9,300,000)
4. The World’s End ($8,942,000)
5. Planes ($8,567,000)
6. Elysium ($7,100,000)
7. You’re Next ($7,050,000)
8. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters ($5,200,000)
9. Blue Jasmine ($4,300,000)
10. Kick-Ass 2 ($4,270,000)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Box Office Mojo
Follow me on Twitter, @JeffMMcKinney, for more movie news.